Having Anxiety for Tomorrow" by Brymo
- You are as good as you are. Stating the obvious, yeah that will help. But just think how silly it is to spend years of your life working towards something only to balk at the final hurdle because you decide you are not good enough. The bottom line is that you don't know, they do, and there is only one way to find out what they know. Apply! If you are still studying at the time of reading this then you have more control over the standard of your work when applying than any other person or thing. Work harder, be more productive and you will get better. Practice makes perfect.
- There is no limit to how many times you can apply. If you don't get a job that teaches you something too and helps you prepare for the next assault. If it helps, don't think of it as a one off thing, plan for a long term assault over several reels and applications, it takes the immediate pressure off and then its a nice surprise if you get a job sooner than later.
- Its not personal. I know its hard to believe, but it really doesn't reflect personally on you if you don't get the job. There are so many other reasons why they might not give you a go, especially with the economy going like it is (Jan 2009). You can have everything they need in a staff member, but so much can be going on inside and affecting a studio that you just have to time it right.
- They are just nerds like you and me. The HR guy at a recent job interview I had was in his 20's, turned up to the interview in faded board shorts, unshaven and sun burnt. The studio animator who came along was in his late 20's or early 30's and wore all black and glasses. We sat at a daggy old plastic table on the deck and talked about animating and games. These are the kinds of thing we do all the time, chances are you can just be yourself and it will be exactly what they are looking for. Hooray for nerds!
Mario Kart Nerds by Adam "Slice" Kuban
- You only get to go through this once, ENJOY IT! My beginnings in the industry are now a long distant memory, learning so much about animating and who the hell I was, boy it was fun. I'd jump back there to go through it all again in a heart beat.
- No matter what KEEP ANIMATING! This is soooooo important, the first thing I ask when I see ex-students of mine is, "Are you still animating?" If the answer is no or not really then I know things are grim for that students future. I know its not the image schools try to sell, but the bottom line is that not many actually finish their study ready to start their first job. For most of us (including how it was for me) there are still things to learn and practicing to be done before you are ready. Animate! Animate! Animate!!!!!!
Job interview by hartboy